The Never-Ending List of Mottos
(If you have a motto you don't see on the list, email me: Susan @ SusanGable DOT com, and I'll add it!) From my writing book Character Motto: A Writer's Tool for Creating 3-D Characters & Enhancing Plot, Setting & Conflict
1. Success is the best revenge.
2. Life is a catch & release program.
3. Appearances aren't everything, they're the only thing.
4. Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.
5. The glass is half-full (or half-empty, depending on your character).
6. The glass is three-quarters full.
7. Do the right thing.
8. Life's short, eat dessert first.
9. Life's fatal.
10. What's in it for me?
11. Take one for the team.
12. You'll never be happy with more until you're happy with what you've got.
13. Good little soldiers don't cry.
14. Lace up your boots tighter and carry on.
15. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
16. This apple fell far from the tree.
17. Everyone lies.
18. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
19. He who dies with the most toys, wins.
20. I'll try anything...twice.
21. Try it, you might like it.
22. I'll do it myself.
23. The only person you can count on is yourself.
24. All for one, and one for all.
25. Family sticks together.
26. Blood is thicker than water.
27. Don’t worry, be happy.
28. Hakuna matata.
29. Be prepared.
30. Wounded, not vanquished.
31. Virtue over gold.
32. Me first.
33. You first.
34. Don't sweat the small stuff. (Sometimes add: And it's ALL small stuff.)
35. It's a good day to die.
36. One strike and you're out.
37. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
38. There's always tomorrow.
39. WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get.)
40. Make a difference.
41. No day but today.
42. Live in the moment.
43. Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow, we die.
44. Plan, plan, plan...then plan some more.
45. Life sucks and then you die.
46. Life's a bitch and then you marry one. (Can be changed for gender.)
47. We plan, God laughs.
48. Hope springs eternal.
49. A man's word is his bond.
50. Your good name is all you have. (The good family name is all we have.)
51. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
52. Do unto others BEFORE they do unto you.
53. Do you know the muffin man? (Okay, that's NOT a motto. Just wanted to see if you're paying attention.)
54. Revenge is a dish best served cold.
55. It's my way or the highway.
56. Fortune favors the brave.
57. Make it so.
58. Action speaks louder than words.
59. Truth, justice, and the American way. (Hey...it worked for Superman!)
60. Find something good in every day.
61. There's no place like home.
62. Don't mess with mine.
63. Might makes right.
64. If I can take it...it's mine.
65. Take what you can get.
66. Give back.
67. Logic in all things.
68. All you need is love.
69. First do no harm.
70. Do as I say, not as I do.
71. Walk the walk. (Don't just talk the talk.)
72. Appearances are always deceiving.
73. Where there's life, there's hope.
74. Do it NOW.
75. Just do it.
76. Work hard. Play harder.
77. Leave the place better than you found it.
78. It's always darkest just before the dawn.
79. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
80. I gotta be me.
81. Fight the good fight.
82. Anything worth having is worth fighting for.
83. None of us is as strong as ALL of us.
84. If you're on the right side of the dirt, there's always tomorrow.
85. I can do anything you can do, better.
86. You're either with me, or against me.
87. Work hard and be lucky.
88. Trust but verify.
89. It is what it is.
90. I'm from Missouri - show me.
91. Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
92. Give of yourself.
93. Work hard, die broke anyway.
94. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
95. We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
96. Learn from yesterday. Plan/hope for tomorrow. Live for today.
97. Don't tread on me.
98. You are not your mistakes
99. You only live once.
100. Carpe diem - seize the day.
101. He who dares, wins.
102. Shit happens.
103. Nice guys finish last.
104. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
105. All things in moderation.
106. All things in moderation, including moderation.
107. What will be, will be.
108. All for one...and that one is me.
109. Glorify God in all things.
110. No good deed goes unpunished.
111. The eagle does not catch flies.
112. God before country.
113. You can't soar with the eagles if you hang with the turkeys.
114. All things in due/good time.
115. Don't let the bastards get you down.
116. I'm an all-my-eggs-in-one-basket, Plan-A kinda guy.
117. What you say, what you think, is what you are.
118. If it looks/sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
119. It if looks/sounds too good to be true...run the other way.
120. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.
121. Want it done right? Do it yourself.
122. Shoot first. Ask questions later.
123. No guts, no glory.
124. Patience is a virtue.
125. Always have an exit strategy.
126. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
127. What goes around, comes around.
128. Karma's a bitch.
129. Karma's a bitch. And so am I.
130. This is life. Suck it up and deal with it.
131. Be slow to anger.
132. Expect the best.
133. To lead, excel, and overcome.
134. Think first, speak second, act last.
135. Sweat + Determination = Success
136. I can't save the whole world...but I can try.
137. I can't save the whole world...but I can save part of it.
138. I can make a difference.
139. Together we can make a difference.
140. Do no harm. (But take no shit.)
141. Hope is overrated.
142. I wanna try everything.
143. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
144. If at first you don't succeed...quit while you're still ahead.
145. Screw or get screwed.
146. BYOL - Bring your own lube, 'cause you know life's gonna screw you.
147. Maximum Effort.
148. (Insert your own motto here...it's a NEVER-ENDING list, after all...)